About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Friday, April 3, 2015

WELLNESS: TIPS FOR EVERYONE

What is WELLNESS?
             
               **Good health, physically & emotionally
               **Complete mental, physical, & social well-being
               **Making choices towards a more successful existence
               **A balance between mind, body, and spirit.


What can I do to achieve and maintain wellness?
  • Be optimistic
  • Turn your frown into a smile; find humor and laughter 
  • Eat nutritionally well balanced meals and snacks
  • Exercise
  • Relax
  • Meditation or deep prayer
To adopt all these behaviors into your life might seem overwhelming, so take one step at a time. Start with the one that seems like it might be easier and then when it becomes a natural part of you, move onto another one. 

ALL THESE STEPS MUST WORK TOGETHER TO ACHIEVE WELLNESS:

     Optimism is confidence and trust. A friend recently shared that this year she is going to focus on trust. Trust in people, events, and most importantly, GOD. Have you ever had someone break your trust? I am sure most of you will say yes. I know I have. When that happens, pray for that person, do not take responsibility for their action, and move on with your head looking up.

                         "You will never find a rainbow if you are looking down."

    

Smiling reduces stress and increases positive emotions. Children smile about 400 times per day; adults smile only about 20 times per day. No wonder watching children creates happiness: we long to bring out the child of playfulness, happiness, and joy back to us.
Click on this link and allow the joys of being a child again put a smile on your face.
        https://www.youtube.com/embed/pfxB5ut-KTs?rel=0

Dr. Bernie Siegel wrote Laughter is the Best Medicine where he outlines the many physical, emotional, and spiritual benefits from smiling to laughter. All I have to do is start recalling some Laurel & Hardy, Carol Burnett, Red Skeleton, and The Marx Brothers antics and every muscle relaxes, my blood pressure and pulse increases sending more oxygen around my body. Some experts say it has the same benefit as a good workout.

                                Wife: I look fat. Can you give me a compliment?
                                Husband: Your eyesight is perfect.


Nutrition in my opinion is one of well balanced meals of protein, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. I encourage you to seek out professional guidance from a dietician to find the most healthy and balanced diet for your body. When we eat the food that is right for us, every part of our being is healthier. If you are overweight, join Weight Watchers or seek help from a dietician.


Exercise and relaxation are both equally important. A professional in exercise programs will be able to design a regimen that is right for you. Relaxation is the time to do something that you enjoy quietly. For me reading, knitting, writing, and playing word games are fun and quiet activities that slow my pulse rate, lower my blood pressure, and release tension. What are your exercise and relaxing activities?

                    Walking, jogging, weight lifting, swimming, water aerobics, playing 
                                       racquetball, tennis, or soccer, and yes even yoga. 




Taking 15-30 minutes a day to deeply pray or meditate brings benefit to you physically, mentally, and spiritually. There are many ways to do this and I find the best for me is to lie down, listen to soothing music or a meditation tape, and quiet my mind. Those last 3 words are the hardest, but when you achieve that state it is when you "hear God."



The body you are born with is the only one you will have. You cannot trade it in for a new model as we do with cars, homes, appliances, etc. How we treat our body from our teens and all through our early years, has an affect on how our health is in later years:

                   Diabetes...result of poor diet, obesity, and familial predisposition
                   COPD...smoking, exposure to certain chemicals
                   Obesity...poor diet, lack of exercise, familial predisposition
                   
If we stop smoking NOW, eat a well balanced diet NOW, and started an exercise program NOW, we will enjoy more WELLNESS NOW.

                             ADD LOVE, KINDNESS, FAITH, AND FORGIVENESS!
                   

No comments: