About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, July 2, 2015

BLOATING: HELP, I LOOK PREGNANT!

My thanks to Haley Dubin for her recent guest blog about nutrition. I hope all will follow her website at www.revivewellness.com.      

I invite you to read "What Causes Ovarian Cancer"an article I wrote for Hormones Matter http://www.hormonesmatter.com/causes-ovarian-cancer/




I recently had a conversation with a group of women and somehow the conversation got around to our bodies…rather typical of women! This time it was not just about our increased wrinkles, gray hair, and “drooping body parts.” We started talking about our body parts below the waist. Of the five of us, three were in the 50-60 age group while two were 60-80 years old. It was the latter group who got quiet and only shared the amusing and uninformed ways their mothers talked to them about the birds and the bees. They admitted they did not have any better conversations with their daughters. The younger group were more informed and have done the same for their daughters. I believe that my granddaughters aged 14-30 are open and educated.
                                                 Let’s talk about the lady parts!



"Have I just gained weight? Am I distended? Am I pregnant?" Are questions any woman might ask when her abdomen gets larger.

                BLOATING OR AN ENLARGED ABDOMEN can be caused by:

                                                  Eating fatty foods                      
                                                  Stress or anxiety,                     
                                                  Irritable bowel syndrome                      
                                                  Constipation,                     
                                                  Lactose intolerance,                      
                                                  Celiac disease,

                                        OR IT IS A SYMPTOM OF OVARIAN CANCER

"An increase in my dress/pant size and looking like I was 3 months pregnant was my only sign for what turned out to be a large cancerous tumor. I thought it was part of being post-menopausal and even though I exercised more and ate less fattening foods, the bloating did not change."
    

                     SEE YOUR M.D. IF THIS SYMPTOM PERSISTS FOR MORE THAN          
                                                                   TWO WEEKS.
                             
                            Keep track on a calendar...an important step towards better health.




                                       RESEARCH YOUR FAMILY HISTORY FOR:
                                               
                                        BREAST, COLON, OR OVARIAN CANCERS 


Bloating is the most common symptom for ovarian cancer, sometimes accompanied by burping, passing gas or pain. The Gas-X commercial instructs the woman in the dressing room that all she needs to do is take Gas-X to relieve her bloating. If it is an occasional event that lasts only a few days, then yes, that might be one solution, but not if it lasts on a daily basis for two weeks!

According to M.D. Anderson: "Women often feel bloated after eating or drinking a lot, especially during their menstrual cycles. But a woman may have ovarian cancer, if she continues to feel bloated for more than two weeks or after her period ends." http://www.mdanderson.org/newsroom/news-releases/2012/cancersymptomswomen.html.



Women, young and old, know your body and listen, then respond to its warning signs. Remember bloating is a common symptom for many disorders and diseases, but also for ovarian cancer as well.




"I am scared to go to the doctor." A friend recently said to me when I saw her for the first time after a few months. "It is nothing. I am just fat," she continued. I listened to her complaints of pain, how the swelling had increased over the past two months, and yet how she has decreased her caloric intake and tried to exercise more. 
We talked about how every organ in her body could be affected by this increased bloating and the importance of seeing her physician as soon as possible. Again she repeated her fears of what the doctor might say. 
By the time our visit ended she agreed to go see her doctor. I hugged her and said, "Now you have taken the first step in conquering your fear and taking control of your own health."



Most of us experience bloating at various times and it is the body's normal response to what we have eaten. However, my bloating continued for two months before I went to my doctor. The "honeydew melon" sized tumor was found. I waited two months too long because of fear and ignorance.

Learn more about ovarian cancer at www.outshineovariancancer.com.

No comments: