About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Saturday, July 11, 2015

REGRETS: ARE THEY HOLDING YOU BACK?

                    "Regrets, I've had a few, 
                      but then again too few to mention.
                      I did what I had to do and saw it through without exception.
                      I planned each chartered course, each careful step along the byway
                     And more, much more than this, I did it my way.

These are some of the lyrics from the song made famous by Frank Sinatra, My Way.

Regrets are choices each of us made that we wish we would have done differently. And, such regrets can hold us back in all aspects of our lives...physically, emotionally/mentally, and spiritually. The best way to heal is to first forgive ourselves, and then take the next step, which is recognize, acknowledge and learn from the event or decision. 

I did things my way, which now means I assume responsibility and cannot put the onus on anyone else. As I take on responsibility, I forgive myself, and can move on to learning. Now my life can be fuller, richer, and healthier.

Too often I hear people blame others, society, or the legal system. This is not healthy or even necessarily the case most of the time.

I used to regret and blame others for my not going to the doctor right away when I developed the abdominal bloating. It was a completely different health manifestation I had ever experienced, and yet I rationalized it is "just post-menopausal." I have forgiven myself and used what I learned to try to teach women about "listening to their bodies."

According to Forbes, here are some of the most common regrets:

  1. Working too much at the expense of family and friends.
  2. Staying in touch with friends.
  3. Turning off the phone.
  4. Worrying too much about what other people think.
  5. Lacking self confidence.
  6. Not living my life as I wanted, but as my parents wanted.
  7. Taking life too seriously.
  8. Burying the hatchet with old friend or family member.
  9. Not trusting my "inner voice" more.
  10. Taking better care of my health.
Life is short, do not waste it on regrets. Forgive yourself and learn. It is never too late to make changes. Friends, family, counselors, and pastors are all people who can help and support you as you move into a healthier and happier life.


                     "There is only one success: To be able to spend your life in your own way."


**I invite you to go to www.watermanwellness.com sometime this month and watch my short interview for world cancer day. Would love to hear your feedback!

**My more recent article for "Hormones Matter" is now published at http://www.hormonesmatter.com/causes-ovarian-cancer/

No comments: