About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

HAIR OR NOT, WE ARE BEAUTIFUL


One of the difficult side effects of chemotherapy is the loss of one's hair.

                              For some of us it was a very challenging experience, yet for others,
                                                   it was a small price to pay.

                                        
                      Think about these words from my ovarian cancer sisters:

                       "Some people just stare at me and it makes me mad."
         "People shift their eyes away avoiding any contact through a smile or nod."
      "My two grandsons just looked up at me and then went on playing their game."
                          "My husband kisses the top of my bald head."

         These are reactions that we as a public need to think about.
                  What kind of a message are we giving out.
                          Is it one of love, acceptance, fear, disdain, or own discomfort?


                  There is a double standard in our society when it comes to hair":

                    ***Men are not shunned if they are bald; too often women are.

           ***Yul Brynner and Michael Jordan were and are still seen as sex symbols, though bald.        

         ***Sinead O'Connor is the only female celebrity I know of who has remained popular despite choosing to be bald.

         ***Other female celebrities who had their heads shaved for movie roles let their hair grow back. They were not seen as sex symbols while bald.      


          Two examples of women who have been in the public eye and were well accepted with their bald heads. News anchor Shelley Smith and beauty pageant winner Kayla Martell http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1346025/Bald-beautiful-Beauty-queen-suffering-alopecia-Miss-America-hair.html

http://www.espnfrontrow.com/2015/02/beautifully-bald-shelley-smith-continues-battle-cancer/



I think of Joan Lunden and Robin Roberts who have been very open about their times of baldness. I congratulate them.


"When I was bald I could feel the coolness of air conditioning, which was not comfortable."

"I preferred wearing hats and scarves. The wig was not comfortable."

"I missed not having eyelashes and eyebrows more than the hair on top of my head."


A dear friend and ovarian cancer sister gave me permission to take a picture of the back of her otherwise bald head. She had received radiation for some brain tumors that did not hit one small area. She laughs about it...good for her.

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL...IT MEANS WE ARE BRAVELY GOING THROUGH A DIFFICULT TIME...IT SYMBOLIZES OUR SPIRIT AND TRUE SOUL...THERE IS MORE TO LIFE 
THAN HAIR! 

2 comments:

lovecats said...

I wore hats and scarfs to keep my bald head warm during the colder months, but often I would just take my hat off, even in the company of non-family members. Do not be ashamed or afraid to show your bald head for it is a sign of courage and determination as we fight this disease. Bald IS beautiful! Hugs to all.

Karen Ingalls said...

Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts. And lots of hugs to you also.