About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

UP, UP & AWAY






I still marvel every time I see an airplane in the sky. How do they do it? I have read the physics about it, but I still ask myself, "How do they do it?"





I would love to be like Peter Pan, the Flying Nun, or Tinker Bell and be able to just fly to wherever and whenever. In the not too distant future, there will be some way that individuals will zoom from place to place.




My great grandmother used to say, "If God meant for us to fly, he would have given us wings!" That was in response to my dad who as a young boy marveled at the early airplanes flying low above his head.

I will always remember in college watching on a small television set in the dormitory the launching of Gargarin in 1961 to orbit the earth, Alan Shepherd that same year the first to fly in space, and  John Glenn the first American to orbit the earth in 1962. 


I can still see my family and I watching the landing on the moon in 1969. 
I had tears in my eyes!

My grandmother was horrified when Neal Armstrong stepped onto the moon. She said, "Once men start walking on the moon, they will throw it out of orbit." 
My aerospace engineering brother-in-law replied, "Edith, our being on the moon is like a flea on an elephant."





The point of all this is that Jim and I are boarding a plane tomorrow to fly somewhere special for our "trip of a lifetime!" The ingenuity of the human mind and its creative spirit has allowed us humans to see, hear, and do things never thought possible only a short 200 hundred years ago. At that time the world relied on such things as sailing vessels, candles, quills for writing, horses, and carrier pigeons and messengers.

How blessed we each are to have the Internet, iPhones, computers, automobiles, trains, televisions, and of course, airplanes. Certainly each of these have created some problems, but also some wonderful benefits.

In hours we will reach our destination and then enjoy 4 weeks of wonder and awe at so much to see and do, having inspirational, moving, and exciting days. I plan to spread the word about ovarian cancer at every opportunity. Trying to lower the number of women worldwide (250,000) who will diagnosed with this terrible disease.

My blogs will keep you up to date where I am and what I am doing. 







Bon Voyage!
Karen


www.outshineovariancancer.com
www.amazon.com

No comments: