About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Friday, November 13, 2015

VOYAGE ENDS, JOURNEY CONTINUES

     
      For nine days I watched the endless waters of the Atlantic Ocean from the cruise ship that we boarded in Barcelona, Spain. We made four stops in Valencia & Malaga, Spain, Tenerife and Lanzarote in the Canary Islands. The blue ocean waters were mainly calm with a few days of white caps. On the horizon occasionally I saw distant cargo ships also heading west, just as we were.
Ocean Renewable Power Company (ORPC)There are lessons I learned on those sea days. One is that the connection between man and the ocean is special. The times when the waves were higher, grayer, and with more white caps is so like the days or moments when I am angry or sad. The source of my anger might come from other people, world events, or the state of my health. I have no control over any of these just as the ocean is only displaying reactions to the weather. My peace and acceptance of life's events is like a calm ocean

            The tides are like the ebbs and flows of my health. As any cancer survivor knows we can only ride the waves of uncertainty, surgeries, chemotherapies, tests, and so many doctor’s appointments. We all pray and hope for the tides of our health to take us to the shores of healing.

 Holding Hands | Sad Love Story
            When the wind blows with gusto, we must walk holding the rails and with our feet firmly planted on the decks. When the winds of diagnosis and recurrence blew I steadied myself by holding on to God, family, friends, and trust in my physicians. There were times when I had to grip their hands tighter so I could withstand the winds of emotions. 

            I look forwarded to arriving in port and to plant my sea legs on solid ground. It is time to get back into the routine of life, which immediately starts with blood tests, doctor’s appointment, and then chemotherapy. I am not sure there is anyone who can be on the ocean every day without stepping on solid ground. We all need to be grounded at some point.

            Vacations are wonderful times to rest, rejuvenate, and re-evaluate.  After a year and a half of chemotherapy I needed at least a short break physically, mentally, and spiritually. I needed the rest.
           
            With rest, a new environment, and different daily schedule, I regained my energy and enthusiasm.

            I have re-evaluated my life and choices I was making. Some I will keep, others I will let go.
                            1. Eat healthier...more fruit, vegetables, fish...less meat and sweets.
                            2. Exercise 4-5 times a week.
                            3. Spend more time with family and friends.

           On this very special vacation, I reconnected with my family history, discovered some man and God-made creations…Venus de Milo, Mona Lisa, Eiffel Tower, The Louvre, the Seine River, Normandy Beaches, Mont Saint-Michel, Aspet in the Pyrennes, Barcelona, and the Canary Islands. I could only barely see the silhouette of Gibraltar in the night sky. Opportunities to truly appreciate wonderful art from man and God.
The Rock of Gibraltar - Share Wonders

       So many of God’s people touched my heart in special ways. I am not going to name names because I will be sure to miss someone.
     **I will always remember the wonderful and kind people from the Augustus Saint-Gaudens Association. I think of the people at our Paris and Barcelona hotels, and the Flamenco dancers who brought tears of joy to my eyes. 
      **The kind man who repaired my watch whose great-great grandfather first opened the shop in that very location. An old original clock still ticks off the time.
     **Theresa Zanatta in Barcelona, an ovarian cancer thriver. We shared our efforts and dreams for more awareness and support. She is a true inspiration to me.
     **The gentleman on the ship who shared about his friend in California, who is facing Stage IV ovarian cancer. An uplifting conversation for both of us.
     **The couple from Wisconsin with whom we often had supper and the friendly and out-going waiters in our favorite restaurant on the ship. They all had smiles of warmth, interest, and common concerns and prayers.

I give my deepest thanks to my husband, Jim, and my dear friend and travel agent, Lolly who made this dream of mine a reality. THANK YOU!!!



2 comments:

Theresa Zanatta said...

Kare!!! Sooo winderful to read your beautiful post and to know that you and Jim have arrived home-safe and well! It was sooo wonderful to be able to spend time with you and Jim! I envy the depth and delight of what you have together. That in itself is a trenendously powerful source of healing energy! I see you coming through ths chemo Karen and your body responding well. You are a powerhouse of faith and still have so many things to do and people to help!!! Hopefully we'll see each other very soon! A big big hug from acoss the ocean to you and Jim!

Karen Ingalls said...

It was wonderful for both Jim and me to meet you. Wish we had had more time, but look forward to getting together another time soon.
Talking to Apple to find out why non of my photos showed up???!!!!