About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

HAIR TODAY, GONE TOMORROW*

Larry Magnum sang the song "Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow" at a birthday party for a dear friend. Listen to it, tap your foot, and let it put a smile on your face. https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=larry+mangum+Hair+today+gone+tomorrow&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Whether it is due to aging, stress, heredity, illness, or chemotherapy, hair loss can be devastating to some.

     It is an expected part of aging so most people accept it for what it is. However one might see more
     toupees, hair pieces, or extensions.

     Yes, stress can cause hair loss among many other health issues. Lower the affects of your stressors
      through relaxation, laughter, exercise, meditation, or sharing with a confidante.

      Heredity is not something with which we have any control. Look at your parents and you can be
      pretty well guaranteed you hair (or lack of) will be pretty close to the same.

     The more serious and long lasting the illness, the more likely there could be some loss of hair or
      damage to the hair. There is a disease called alopecia which causes permanent hair loss.

     Having cancer is bad enough, but losing one's hair to chemotherapy is an added loss that is very
     emotionally painful.


Whatever the reason that our hair is gone today, what is important is how we cope with it.  Do we laugh it off? Cry and hide? Walk with pride and show the baldness off? Wear hats, wigs, or toupees?

OR we can be like this person in the following story:


      There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three hairs on her head.
      "Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today." So she did and had a wonderful day.
      The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two hairs on her head.
       "Hm-m-m," she said. "I think I'll part my hair down the middle today." So she did and she had a grand day. 
       The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head.
      "Well," she said. "Today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail." So she did and she had a fun, fun day. 
       The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there was not a single hair on her head. 
       "Yeah!" she exclaimed. "I don't have to fix my hair today!" 
                                      (Author Unknown)
   http://www.spiritual-short-stories.com/spiritual-short-story-100-Three+Hairs.html





Shelley Smith a SportsCenter reporter has been diagnosed with breast cancer. In an interview she stated, "I’m bald. Yep. Was sitting around one day wondering why the dog, Rosalita Rosario, was shedding so much? Then I realized it wasn’t her. . . it WAS ME!" 

http://www.espnfrontrow.com/2015/02/beautifully-bald-shelley-smith-continues-battle-cancer/






There is beautiful beauty queen pageant Kayla Martell who has alopecia and refuses to let her baldness keep her from following her dream. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1346025/Bald-beautiful-Beauty-queen-suffering-alopecia-Miss-America-hair.html




 Right now I am off of chemo, my hair has grown back, and my scarves and hats are packed away. I donated my wig to the chemotherapy room for anyone to have. I just never wore it and know I will not in the future.
Most of us can make jokes and laugh about our particular stage of baldness. We grieve at first and eventually come to acceptance.
What is not acceptable is the reason why we are bald...illness, alopecia, or cancer are not acceptable reasons. Research is desperately needed for the causes and treatments for these. 

My personal research cause is for gynecologic cancer. For more information as to where to donate contact Ovarian Cancer National Alliance or National Ovarian Cancer Coalition.


*Credit for the title to this blog goes to Larry Magnum, a talented singer, musician, and songwriter.                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnfYIcbJK-A




2 comments:

Oracle Equipments said...

This was a useful post and I think it's fairly easy to see in the other reviews, so this post is well written and useful.
bod incubator manufacturer

Karen Ingalls said...

Thank you for your comment.