About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

CANCER, CHILDREN AND PARENTS

CANCER DOES NOT CARE HOW YOUNG OR OLD WE ARE.

       CANCER WILL STRIKE 15,780 CHILDREN AND            
              ADOLESCENTS THIS YEAR (According to NCI)

                  OF THAT 1,960 WILL NOT SURVIVE.


According to The American Cancer Society the most common cancers diagnosed in children are:
  • Leukemia.
  • Brain and other central nervous system tumors.
  • Neuroblastoma.
  • Wilms tumor.
  • Lymphoma (including both Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin)
  • Rhabdomyosarcoma.
  • Retinoblastoma.
  • Bone cancer (including osteosarcoma and Ewing sarcoma)


         HERE ARE SOME STORIES OF HOPE:

At the age of 3 years old, Daniel Patton was diagnosed with acute lymphocytic leukemia. He went through extensive chemotherapy, bone marrow biopsies, and  many spinal taps. His family decided that they wanted to provide information and support to others, and Daniel began talking about his experience. 
 “No story is the same, and no battle is the same,” he says of the people he’s met, but he does have a piece of advice for anyone touched by the disease, whether in childhood or beyond: “Live life to the fullest. I think most people who have been diagnosed with cancer can really relate to that.”

Cole Eicher had been experiencing double vision, lack of balance, and nausea and vomiting. He was diagnosed with medullablastoma, a brain tumor the size of a golf ball. He had surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, and a stem cell transplant.
"When I was on the cancer floor and I would walk by all the rooms filled with kids, I saw that they were often too small or too sick to be able to speak out and help others. I knew then that I must speak for them and other kids fighting cancer."

At one years old, Alexandra Ojeda was diagnosed with a type of bone cancer, Ewing sarcoma. It settled in her right jaw and she went through 32 surgeries and chemotherapy. 
Today she states "I feel my problem was just God's way of letting me know my role in this planet. I am alive because I am meant to help those parents and children who might be affected by this painful and awful disease."

              What can you do to help children,      
          adolescents and their families?

**Abigail Sterns of Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI is working on a project called CancerEd where she and her team are developing curriculum materials to teach children about cancer in an interactive way.

**If you know someone whose child is now facing or has had cancer, please share this blog with them. 

**Here is the link https://calvin.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0MndeNMpGJ3iKEd to a brief and confidential survey that will lend information and direction to this team of students trying to make our world a little better for children and their families dealing with cancer. 

                   Thank you for your help with this
                              most worthy cause.

No comments: