About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

THE ROAD OF LIFE

                                ARE YOU SEEING THE ROAD SIGNS 
                   GUIDING YOU THROUGH YOUR LIFE?




DO YOU STOP AND LOOK, PRAY, THINK ABOUT YOUR DECISION TO MOVE ON?
         How often we jump into situations or make decisions before considering possible consequences, alternatives, or consulting with God or other people? 
We have all seen drivers rolling through an intersection (California stop) causing accidents or near-accidents. 
 Good advice is to stop, listen, and look in all directions. Decisions made in that manner always will prove to be the healthiest, wisest, and most rewarding.





      HOW MANY TIMES DOES A DETOUR SIGN SHOW UP ON OUR LIFE'S PATH?
           When I was a senior in college my mother required major     heart surgery and the family asked me to leave school to take care of her at home once she was discharged from the hospital. Selfishly I did not want to put my education on hold nor for my
safety did I want to return to the dysfunctional house I grew up in. 
           Yet, I took the detour and helped my mother during her recovery, returned to college a few years later, and confronted and healed from the memories of my childhood.
           By taking the detour I had a clearer purpose and goal for my education (nursing and psychology), and most importantly my mother and I resolved our issues.





       THERE ARE BUMPS, RUTS, AND POTHOLES IN THE ROAD OF LIFE
          When a personal, business, health, or spiritual issue arises I call them challenges. I see them as times to learn and grow; to become better people. Sometimes these bumps in the road
seem endless, rough, and difficult to drive upon. To get onto a smooth road I believe we need to seek help through prayer, sharing with trusted friends, and looking toward peaceful 
resolutions. How long we are on the rough roads varies with the challenge and how we each face them.



                  THE ROAD OF LIFE OFTEN REQUIRES US TO YIELD TO OTHERS
                  In relationships we often yield to the wishes or needs of our partner for their growth and health; and it is usually best for us also. In the work world we must yield to the requests of our bosses and the company's policy. As citizens we are to follow the laws of our city, state, and country. Such yielding prevents chaos and  disruption. 
                  Sometimes it is difficult to yield to certain people, traditions, or laws because we do not agree with them or see that they are not in the best interest of yourself. The line between when to yield or not can sometimes be difficult to define.  Just as with most things in life it is best to seek help through prayer and trusted friends  for counsel.


We have just spent a week in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. There are two seasons in Minnesota: winter and construction! Everywhere we went there were detours, road closures, and construction. As we maneuvered our way around I could not help but think about my road of life. There have been many detours, stops, yields, and rough times that have been a part of my journey.




In my Outshine book I share how I coped with that big bump.
Available at myBook.to/Ovarian  All proceeds go to gynecologic cancer research. 


   

2 comments:

Alice said...

Nice Blog...

Karen Ingalls said...

Thank you, Alice. Wishing you a life where you can learn and grow from life's construction zones.