About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Monday, October 31, 2016

THE GIFTS OF SISTERHOOD

           SISTERHOOD IS DEFINED IN THREE WAYS:


SISTERHOOD is defined as the sisterly relationship. 
            I have been blessed to have two sisters. I am the middle daughter; Joan was the oldest, and Denise (NeeNee) the youngest. We had our different roles and strengths.We each have had deep and lasting relationships with one another.

                  During our childhood, my perception is that Joan was the mother-figure who watched out for her two younger siblings. Being that I was the middle child, I felt I did not get the same attention and therefore tried even harder to be the most successful student, the best behaved, and tried to achieve the most. And,my younger sister was the "princess" which she denies to be true. 

                   The value of having sisters is someone with whom you can share, laugh with, cry on each other's shoulders, and just be together. As we share memories we sometimes wonder if we grew up in the same house! I love my sisters, miss Joan who has passed away, and treasure every moment with NeeNee.



SISTERHOOD is also the close relationship among women
           I am blessed to be surrounded with wonderful friends. Some of them I have known since college in the 1960's; or friends I met when we moved to MN and we are still in touch with one another since 1969; and an equally wonderful group of ladies I have met here in Florida for the past twelve years. 

               Each woman brings a special gift to our sisterhood. It might be their hugs, prayers, smiles, or the gift of being a good listener. They share their stories from which I gain a new and richer respect as I know they do from me. 

               Some of these sisters are nurses I met through work. We share the same philosophy about caregiving as nurses and our shared personality traits as nurses as solidified our friendship. Each of them have volunteered to help me in any way I need when I walk the cancer path.

                 Other women share my love of golf and games in general. They like the camaraderie, friendly competition, and the laughter. Some of us play golf at least once a week; others play Cards & Marbles once a month; and others play cards or games as often as possible. 



SISTERHOOD is women with shared experiences or concerns
                   I have become a member of a group of women who share the diagnosis of ovarian cancer. We meet for lunches or just gather to share. I have met many women through various Internet groups on Facebook.

                   We share our concerns, ask questions, support each other through prayers, and try to just be there for one another.

                   We join each other arm in arm at rallies, marches, and fund raisers. We hug, run, shout, and jump for joy for every survivor. We join hands and pray for those who have gained their angel wings.


 Sisters are special people and I am very blessed to have so many women who are part of my sisterhood.


1 comment:

asset health said...

Asset health work with patients and physicians in various cancer treatment centers in ca and provide effective therapeutic programs that helps to improve their health. Through research and clinical practice we assess the causes and deliver the right treatments.