From my book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, is this piece of prose:
WHAT CANCER CANNOT DO
It cannot invade the soul,
Conquer the spirit,
Steal eternal life,
- Cancer is cells growing out of control. Humans as well as animals have had cancer throughout recorded history. There have been many theories (attachment below) as to its cause: chronic, infectious (16th Century), lymphatic (1700's), humoral (Hippocrates) to blastema (1830's).
- How do we get cancer? Is it all genetic? or chemical? or environmental? We know smoking is a contributing factor for many cancers. The government of Canada has banned the use of BPA in consumer products as described by Valerie Johnston's report (see attachment below). Researchers know that the mutated BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes have direct links to breast and ovarian cancers. We do not have all the answers as to what causes any cancer, but science is making headway.
- For me, I believe in following the healthy guidelines by Mayo Clinic which were presented in my blog "What Is So Special About February?" dated February 6, 2013. I will read about the latest research and come to informed decisions about what I believe is right for me.
- The ovarian cancer might return or I might develop another kind of cancer. What is important is not letting cancer rule my life; I will embrace the words of What Cancer Cannot Do, instead.
- It is important to support the research being done. Proceeds from my book go to ovarian cancer research at Mayo Clinic and Florida Hospital, where I know the money goes to research.